Building a 1933 Harley-Davidson VL: Handlebars

If you've never put together a set of vintage Harley-Davidson handlebars before, you'll be surprised by just how many parts are needed to complete the job.  The control coil system which operates the throttle and spark advance are an ingenious set up, but have far more pieces than you would find in your typical modern throttle cable.  Luckily, assembly is very straightforward and only takes a couple hand tools to complete.

2015 VMA International Swap Meet and Bike Show

The Vintage Motorcycle Alliance, LLC is proud to announce the 4th Annual “International Vintage Motorcycle Swap Meet and Show” in picturesque Eustis Florida at the wonderful Lake County Fairgrounds on March 6, 7 and 8,  2015.  Last year’s association with the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club and the success of their sponsored antique motorcycle show and road run has prompted VMA to again remain open Sunday and forge “Destination Eustis 2015” into a family driven extravaganza.  There is building anticipation of a much larger display of vintage machines in the main exposition building and we have offered vendors the chance to enhance sales by staying another day to provide vintage parts to the public.  Visitors previously unable to attend on Friday or Saturday can now enjoy the bike show and interact with celebrated vendors to purchase necessary parts for their projects.  Seminars by officiandos and tradesmen will be offered to enlighten novices, collectors and enthusiasts to the fine arts of owning, maintaining and riding vintage machines. 

This will be the 20th year an antique motorcycle swap meet has been presented at the Lake County Fairgrounds and the Vintage Motorcycle Alliance has joined forces with town officials to promote “Destination Eustis”.  We recognize the criteria that makes Eustis enticing to antique motorcyclists, the peaceful ambiance, ample amenities, quality entertainment and an easy access location.   

The Vintage Motorcycle Alliance with their enthusiastic sponsors and amiable vendors promise to provide an event recognized for variety,,,, OEM used, NOS and top shelf NEW replacement parts, as well as literature, memorabilia and educational information for your classic machine.  The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club is energetically promoting another rare opportunity to enjoy a spectacular display of International vintage machines.  They expect great diversity with classic bobbers and choppers, military vehicles, vintage restorations, factory original paint bikes, antique racing and touring machines and daily riders from around the planet.  Fine examples from Japan, the United States, Italy, Germany, England and Sweden, ALL two and three wheeled and ALL in excess of twenty years old.  We anticipate winning bikes from National “Board Track” racing and AMA sanctioned events and several highest scoring machines from the “2014 Cannonball” challenge to be on hand for your viewing pleasure as well as their owners and riders for conversation and inspiration.

Mark us on your calendar now, don’t miss “Destination Eustis”.  Come see what we have planned! 

For more pertinent details and an interactive site map with vendor signup page please visit; WWW.VINTAGEMOTORCYCLEALLIANCE.COM

Classic American Motorcycles at Wheels Through Time Volume 1

In a world where everyone is taking photos all the time, it's refreshing to find a real photographer among the thousands of amateurs clogging the internet with poorly executed photos.  Jim Dohms creates digital works of art by combining his mastery of traditional photography skills with new digital techniques to create images which can be best described as a new art form.  The colors seem to leap right off the page and minute details are enhanced in ways which add depth to the photos and seem to draw the viewer right inside the frame.  One of Jim's specialties is motorcycle photography and so he traveled to one of the best motorcycle museums in the world, Wheels Through Time, to capture their unique collection of machines.

Bad Luck Comes In Threes: Brakes, Belts and Drums

Vintage motorcycles have a way of testing a rider’s mechanical abilities when they least expect it.  Even with a strict maintenance schedule and proper preparation, there is still a chance that you might find yourself pushing your motorcycle down the side of the highway in the middle of the night.    Keeping these motorcycles road worthy takes dedication, but for those who have caught the vintage “bug”, there is nothing more satisfying than a successful adventure on old iron.  Last autumn, my 1964 Duo-Glide put my skills and patience to the test on a trip from North Carolina all the way up to Concord, New Hampshire to attend the Pewter Run.   In the end, I completed the trip, but I had a number of “adventures” along the way…

Building a 1933 Harley-Davidson VL: Springer Front End Rebuild

For some reason, the previous owner of my springer decided to paint the entire thing with tan spray paint. Springs, fork legs, rockers, alemite fittings and even the inside bearings surfaces all got a good coat of paint.  I wanted to return the front end to a more correct look, which meant that the springs needed to be parkerized and the rest of the parts needed a coating of black enamel.  I'm not much of a painter, so I decided to send out the black parts for powder coating while I tackled the springs.